Friday, February 22, 2008

Where the Fat Girls Shop

This is not a politically correct title, I know. But I was in a store. It didn't take me long to realize that this was a store where only people who were a junior size 1, 3 or 5 should shop, certainly not womanly people of a certain age. As I was glancing aound I realized there were a large number of obese teenagers or young adult women. They were all wearing junior size 1, 3 or 5. They were all exceeding obese. These junior sizes did not, on them, cover everything the designer intended them to cover, and then some. The skin showing was not the intended tight stomach or sexy navel, it was saggy, bulging excess. We see these girls/women everywhere. I often think, as I go about, don't people own mirrors, don't they use them? Don't people care how they look? Or are we all so arrogant and oblivious that we think that our flab looks good or attractive when squeezed out of clothes many sizes too small. Our body image in this country is so weird and distorted. Young women feel the need to starve themselves (and increasingly young men too) to be small enough to be "attractive". We nip and tuck ourselves to death, sometimes literally. People get gastric bypass operations and die because they can't stop eating. And then, the other side of the coin, morbidly fat people who believe themselves to be attractive and healthy. It is all quite scary. At least now I know where the fat girls shop.

No comments: