Monday, April 20, 2009

Role Model Lunch

Great news story on NPR the other day. It was about school systems that were trying to ban bad, fatty, unhealthy snacks from school cafeterias and vending machines. Now if you are one of my three (ok I am exaggerating) loyal fans you know that obese children is one of my pet peeves (see earlier blogs). So I was listening with great interest to this great thing the teachers and school boards were trying to accomplish. Just think, you put in your .5o and get a little pack of carrots? Or an apple? An orange juice? The cool ideas are pretty much endless. It reminds me of the Automat in New York when I was a kid. I loved the Automat. It was a huge cafeteria style place (seemed huge to me at the time) and all along the walls were what seemed like hundreds of little glass doors. Each door had some wonderful food item behind it. You lifted up the door and took out your selection. The difference between this and modern vending is that you paid the cashier at the end of the line. The cashier would add up your choices and you paid. But the prices, if I remember correctly, were on each item behind the door. Anyway, I loved it. An endless variety of tempting food choices! Anyway, back to Public Radio. So I'm listening to this great health effort and they get specific to one school. The focus of the story, it now appears, is that at this particular school while the teachers are all about healthy vending for the children, they are outraged that the same crappy, fatty disgusting snacks are to be removed from the vending in the teacher's lounge. Way to go role models.

1 comment:

Andreams said...

I LOVE this.... You've hit on one of my pet peeves... the "do as I say not as I do" approach to dealing with kids. It brings to mind that iconic image of parents talking about "the dangers of drugs" while sipping a cocktail.

As parents (and teachers and coaches and grandparents etc) I think the hard part is examining our own behaviorand managing those inconsistencies prior to climbing up onto the soap box!

http://whatkidsneedtosucceed.
wordpress.com