Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Throwing Kitties


Wow. Consistency is just harder and harder. I have been ridiculously sidetracked by many things but currently by Facebook. My sixteen year old says that Facebook is social networking for old people. He of course would not be caught dead. Its Myspace, texting or nothing. What I find fascinating, among many things, is how I can be affected emotionally by a visit to Facebook. I find myself oddly envious of the apparent vivacious sociability of others; by what appears to be their terrifically busy lives filled up with friends, people. Sometimes I can feel weird, as if my life isn't also full of people? And I really believe the vivacious social life to be primarily conducted on the Facebook site, not in real life. When thought of in that way, who cares. And really, who cares what other people's social lives are? It has nothing to do with mine. Other times, however, I feel oddly happy, so far two friends from past times have found me and I really like that. One I don't much care about other than its nice to be "thought of". The other I am genuinely pleased to reconnect with. That, I think is the true value of the social network. I am mystified by most of the gimmicks of what you can "give" "send" or otherwise do on the site. Except my very favorite which is "throw a kitty". You collect the kitties that are thrown to you and you get access to more. As I am a cat lover, I find this "throwing" of kitties pretty amusing. What I don't want is to start thinking that the number of kitties I have on my profile is how I should judge my worth in the world. It is easy to disappear down a facebook hole and not really come out.

No comments: